Hi All, Rico here again -
Today, I want to talk with you about something we all do everything in our power to avoid—getting into a car accident! This should be something we think about, talk about, and be prepared for. By being prepared for the worst-case scenario, an accident happening, it helps to ensure that you have the best possible outcome in a difficult and scary time.
Here are some things to remember if you find yourself a part of an accident, whether it was caused by you or not.
- Make sure if at all possible that you are in a safe area that is clear from any traffic
- Check on any other parties involved in the accident
- Call the police
- Take a look to see if there were any eyewitnesses. (If so, ask if they will provide their contact information.
- Take photos of the vehicles involved. (This can be helpful later for insurance purposes.)
- Gather information from any other parties involved. (This would include names, insurance information, license plate number, location of accident, make/models of any vehicles involved and the information of any responding law enforcement.
- File a claim to your insurance company
- Have car towed to your trusted auto body shop
If this was an accident where others were involved, make sure to take some time to survey the people and make sure everyone is alright. (This includes yourself!)
Shock and adrenaline often take over in accidents and we forget to just breathe and make sure we’re alright.
Also, remember that the injuries sustained in an accident can take a bit of time to reveal themselves. Be aware of how you’re feeling in the days following the accident as well. Being thoughtful with how you handle the steps following an accident is very important.
Definitely get checked out by your health care provider if you're uncomfortable, feeling pain, feeling "woozy". Best to get checked out sooner than later, always.
Try to remember that it’s a process, and finding the right team to help you along the path can also help.
Have an auto body shop that you trust picked out that you trust.
Have an insurance firm that is reliable and trustworthy.
Having the right team can be very helpful in the steps following the accident. Often, once the car is brought to the shop and claim opened with your insurance, you won’t have to deal with insurance or other related functions again. Your team will handle it for you.