Hey all—Rico here!
I want to pause to take a moment to talk about car accidents.
Of course this is something that we all hope is something we never have to deal with, but something that is important to be prepared for in case we do encounter it. There are roughly 6 million police-reported accidents that that place each year. Wow!
With that said, I want to repeat that the most important thing is to be as prepared as possible. Here are some tips for you to be prepared should you find yourself in this situation.
- STOP. Never leave the scene.
- PROTECT THE SCENE. Setup flares, turn your flashers on, use a flashlight if you have one and your lights are out.
- CALL THE POLICE. Regardless of how big or small—call the police. Your insurance may need a report if you end up filing a claim.
- TAKE PICTURES. If you’re able to, take photos of any physical damage to your car, the other car or whatever you collided with, and of yourself if you have any injuries.
- EXCHANGE INFORMATION. If your accident involves another vehicle, exchange information, no matter how big or small the accident is.
- GET YOUR CAR TO A TRUSTED GARAGE (Rico’s Auto Buff!). Depending on what condition your vehicle is in, either drive it, or have it towed to a trusty repair shop (Rico’s Auto Buff!) for it to be inspected for damage and safety.
- REPORT THE ACCIDENT. As soon as you’re able to, notify your insurance that an incident has taken place.
- KEEP A FILE. Keep all of the information you collect from the accident together in one place.
We get to know a lot of our clients as a result of these accidents. One thing we focus and pride ourselves on, is making the process as easy as possible for our clients. (We know this is a very stressful time!) We deal with all insurances, and take care of that whole portion for you, so you can focus on you.
I encourage you to take a couple of minutes to review your coverage.
You can never be too prepared!